Just north of the heart of Atlanta, East Cobb, Georgia is an ideal retirement spot. Seniors can bask in the state’s famously balmy climate while taking advantage of the senior-friendly tax environment and services. Plus attractions and amenities galore to keep retirees engaged and occupied.
If you’re thinking of moving to greener pastures in the sunny South, it’s time to put East Cobb, GA on your retirement radar.
Where is East Cobb, GA?
Nestled in the heart of the Metro Atlanta area, but just far enough from downtown to escape the hustle and bustle, East Cobb is an unincorporated community of 170,000 residents.
During the 1970s, developers turned the sleepy suburb, once known as Mount Bethel, into a dynamic town of new neighborhoods, high-end homes, and luxury shopping.
Today, East Cobb represents the best of urban and suburban living.
Long, warm summers and mild winters
Residents of East Cobb enjoy the Atlanta area’s famously warm climate. Georgia boasts of an early spring, a long, warm summer, a glorious fall season, and mild winters.
Seniors can spend more time gardening outdoors with the extended growing season. Or, they can enjoy other physical and outdoor sports activities for much of the year. The long summers and short, mild winters also offer relief to those whose aches and freezing temperatures may exacerbate pains.
East Cobb, nearby Marietta and the Metro Atlanta region provide a ton of opportunities for shopping, fine dining, sports and recreation, and cultural and artistic events. If you’re wondering what to do in East Cobb, consider checking the following:
- Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park: A Civil War battlefield park also comes with miles of outdoor trails and sweeping vistas
- Morgan Falls Overlook Park: A 30-acre riverside park with picnic pavilions, boating, and scenic views
- East Cobb Park: A 20-acre park with picnic pavilions, walking paths, an outdoor stage, and playground
- Fox Creek Golf Club & Legacy Links: A par-62 course surrounded by beautiful Georgia pines
- Cobblestone Golf Course: An award-winning municipal golf course on the banks of Lake Acworth and a favorite of Metro Atlanta golfers
- Truist Park: A modern 41,000-seat baseball stadium that serves as the new home of the Atlanta Braves
- Six Flags Over Georgia: For chills and thrills, no matter your age, spend a fun-filled afternoon with friends or grandkids
A senior-friendly environment
Seniors enjoy plenty of perks in Georgia – from tax breaks to social services. Aside from generous tax deductions for seniors, Georgia does not tax Social Security. Thus, seniors can end up paying little to no income tax while enjoying Georgia’s impressive senior citizen services.
The state’s Division of Aging Services can help find caretakers, dispense free and low-cost legal advice, and accept Medicare applications. Meanwhile, Cobb County Senior Services provides low-cost transportation services, housekeeping, and communal meals, as well as operating senior centers throughout the county. These centers offer classes, and organize outings and other social activities that help retirees stay mentally, physically and socially fit.
Your choice of retirement and senior living communities
Seniors have a variety of housing options, whether they want to look for a single-family home in East Cobb’s suburbs, or move to dedicated senior communities in the area.
- Sterling Estates of East Cobb, for example, provides independent living and assisted living care in an East Cobb campus with apartments and cottage- style living quarters, courtyards and gardens, walking paths, and outdoor social areas.
- The Solana East Cobb offers assisted living and dementia care services, with a variety of activities to help residents keep fit and active.
- The wider Cobb County region has a wealth of options, each with their own specialties and amenities, such as Arbor Terrace of Burnt Hickory, Presbyterian Village in Austell, and Parc at Piedmont East Cobb.
East Cobb’s great climate, suburban charm, proximity to urban centers, and senior-friendly services and environment make it ideal for retirees looking for a place to begin the next chapter of their lives.
If you’re searching for a comfy retirement home or the right senior living community in East Cobb, GA, turn to the Page Morgan Team. As veterans of Atlanta’s residential real estate market, we know what it takes to find the right home for our clients.