Congrats on making it to Week 4 of the 90 Days to Homeowner Challenge! Woo-hoo!To help focus your house hunting, we’re going to make a wants vs. needs list. Needs are the non-negotiable features; the features you simply must have in your next home. Wants are the ones you’d like to have, but you can add or change them down the road. So grab a pen and paper or your phone and favorite note-taking app and don’t worry—We’re here to help keep the two categories straight.
Needs might be things like:
- Enough square footage for you and your family
- Sufficient bedrooms and bathrooms
- First-floor master bedroom
- Close proximity to work and school
- Attached two-car garage
- Grassy yard for children’s or pet’s play area
Wants will look more like:
- Specific paint or exterior color
- Pool, jacuzzi, or other exterior water feature
- Fenced-in backyard
- Specific carpet, hardwood floors, or tile
- Kitchen amenities like countertops and appliances
- Walk-in shower or double bathroom vanity in master
Don’t feel like your first draft has to be your final draft—and above all else, remember you can’t change the lot, the location, or the price you paid so spend a good amount of time thinking through those three before moving on.
If you’ve been working through the 90 Day to Homeowner Challenge, be sure to fill out the page with your wants and needs in your home. This will help us be strategic throughout your home search. What’s something on your list?